Monday, January 16, 2012

A Week Indeed - From Juazeiro do Norte




Hello, everyone!

So, a couple things happened this week.

First, on Tuesday, the police in Fortaleza went on strike, and the strike gradually made it´s way down to Juaziero do Norte, where I am at. At around one o´clock on Tuesday, a whole bunch of stores got robbed in the ``downtown´´ of Juazeiro (it´s called the Bairro Centro). Anyway, they basically all got robbed at the same time, and nothing could really stop them because the cops were on strike. 

So, as Elder Call and I walked through the Bairro Centro around 2 pm, all of the stores were closed in the middle of the day, and we weren´t totally sure what was up. We asked a few people on the street, and headed to the church. We called our leaders, and they got a hold of President Souza, and he said that we all needed to be in our houses by 6 pm. So, we called a bunch of people in our zone to let everyone know, and we headed home. We taught one more person after that, but the rest of the day we spent in the house. Pretty crazy! The police are not on strike anymore, and the Brazilian army actually got there the next day to make themselves known. So, everythings basically back to normal.

Second, on Thursday Elder Call and Elder Borrêa, another elder who live in the same house as us, went to Fortaleza for a leadership training, because they are both trainers (Actually, Elder Borrêa is training Elder Nielsen, my first companion in the MTC, so it´s pretty cool!). So, they actually left on Wednesday night, and Elder Nielsen and I worked together on Thursday. Neither us us speak fluent Portuguese yet, so it was quite the experience! on Wednesday night, I slept in Elder Borrêa´s bed, and the next morning I woke up with a huge pain in the left side of my neck. It was like I was getting a big Charlie Horse every time I turned my head that direction:( Anyway, I called a bunch of people, got a hold of Sister Souza (the mission president´s wife is typically responsible for the health and physical welfare of the missionaries in the mission), and she told me to go buy some ``Dorflex´´, which is a muscle relaxant. So, I´ve been taking that, and I feel lots better!

I am out of time, but I hope that you all know how much I love you, and that things are trucking along here! I was thinking today about the importance of love in our lives, and how we receive the love of Christ as we become true folowers of Him (Moroni 7:48). It reminded me of the talk I based my farewell talk on, from Elder Gonzalez in the April 2011 General Conference. I highly recommend it!

Anyway, I love you all, and I will talk to you again soon!

Love always,
Elder Reid Powell Empey

P.S. For those of you in the Connell area, all I have to say is that we always find some way to get on the map:)
P.P.S. For those of you at BYU, I would like to tell you that I love you all so very much, and that I don´t you are having the time of your lives up there:) (Weird, I´m pretty far down, aren´t I....:) )
P.P.P.S. For my dear family (and adopted family, so ALL of you), I LOVE YOU TONS AND SCOOPS! Keep moving forward, and don´t forget: you ROCK today:) Tchau!

No comments:

Post a Comment