Monday, September 3, 2012

Another Great Week from Maranguape

Hello, everybody! I hope that you all had a wonderful week.

This week was good. We had Zone Conference, which means great food and great trainings. I got to lead the music. We had four zones together, so about 80 misisonaries or more were there, along with President Souza, Sister Souza, the secretaries, and the assistants. One of the past assistants was called as a trainer, and the new assistant, is Elder Araujo, who I lived with for 3 months in Beira Mar! I love him tons, and I know that he is going to do a great job.

Andreline was baptized this week! Things went really well for her this week, and the baptism went smoothly. Her dad even came, although he was a little bit tipsy from drinking......we plan on helping him out and hopefully the whole rest of the family.

Also, there was an incredible lesson this week. A member named Vitória has a brother named Romário, and they live way far away in Columinjuba, which reminds me of home because it's in the middle of no where. Anyway, we were going to have to head out there for a 40 minute to and hour bus ride to teach him. Before this, we had an appointment marked with Andreline, but she wasn't at home. So, we headed back to the chapel, and who did we run into? Romário! He was on his motorcycle, just like the last time we saw him. We asked him if he was going to be home for us to head over there, and he said no, because he had some things that he had to do still in Maranguape. But, he said that he had some time right then to talk. So, we asked him if we could meet him over at the church and talk there, and he said sure.

We opened up the church, and he drove his motorcycle into the parking lot. We when in, and opened up the bishop's office. We started talking to him, and asked if he had prayed to know if the Church is true. He said that he had prayed, and received an answer that it is true! I then invited him to be baptized.

Usually when we invite people to be baptized, we ask them, "When you receive and answer and know that these things are true, will you follow the example of Jesus Christ by being baptized by someone holding the authority of God?" They usually say, "Well, if I receive an answer, yeah."

But, this time, he already knew that the Church was true. So, as I invited him to be baptized, I felt a strong spirit testify of the truth, and of what he needed to do. I said, "Because you know that these things are true, will you follow the example of Jesus Christ by being baptized?" He responded, "Yes, I will." I felt the Spirit so strongly, and said, "We are preparing a baptismal service on _____. Will you be baptized on this day?" And he replied, "Yes, I will." I felt so happy, so excited, and my eyes teared up as I testified that I know that he had made the right choice, and that this Church truly is the true church here upon the earth.

How grateful I am for this Gospel, and the impact it makes in our lives. I love you all so very much, and hope that you have wonderful weeks, and wonderful experienes! Quoting President Uchtdorf, "Don't let a day go by without doing something to act on the promptings of the Holy Ghost." He will guide you in your daily lives as you seek His will with the real intent to follow it. You will be instruments in His hands for good, and you will bless the lives of many of His children.

I love you all so very, very much! Make it a great day! YOU ROCK!!

Love always,

Elder Reid Powell Empey

No comments:

Post a Comment